Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Personality Profile: Cpl. Quincy Reynolds

By Cpl. Robert C. Medina

Name: Cpl. Quincy J. Reynolds

Unit: Command Element

Home Town: Baltimore, Md.

Job Title: 3521, Diesel Mechanic

Why did you want to join the Marine Corps?

“Before I joined the Marine Corps I was a Mail-Man. On my rout I would deliver to an Air Force base nearby. I would see these guys in desert utilities that looked different from the rest and thought their uniforms were sharp looking. I got to speaking with them and decided that I wanted to join. I thought to myself, well I’m not getting any younger and I didn’t want to have any regrets. So far I have had a lot of good experiences in the Marine Corps. I’m so grateful that I was able to go on two MEU’s, I have been able to travel and see the world in a way that many people don’t get to do.”

What do you do here on ship?

“For the MEU I do a lot of different things. I am a diesel mechanic by trade, but I am part of the unit movement control center (UMCC). I track all the convoys and logistics leaving the ship when we are conducting operations. At sea I monitor all the fight operations as well. However, this is my second deployment with the MEU. On my last deployment I was a motor transportation mechanic, I would go out with different units and fix anything that broke down."

What are some of the things you do here on ship to pass the time?

“Well, on the time that I do have off, I help out the other Marines by cutting their hair. Even though we are out at sea, it is still important to keep up with standards.”

How did you learn to cut hair?

"I came down to the barber shop one day and I was watching a Marine cut hair, I just figured I could cut hair myself. So I got some clippers and just started to practice on anybody who was willing to get their hair cut. I like to help out the other Marines. To me cutting hair is relaxing. It breaks up the monotony on ship."


No comments:

Post a Comment